rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman
SPOILER ALERT!

The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls Hard to put down in a National Enquirer sort of way. Am I the only one who doesn't quite believe this book? When I got to the part about the mom owning a multimillion dollar piece of land, my first thought was, "How did she pay the taxes?" The book/author completely lost credibility after that, and I could barely finish it (but this piece of info was practically at the end.) I felt bad about myself for not being able to put this book down - what kind of person wants to read about someone else's misery? (Apparently, me...)

The folksy, "Oh, all these horrible things are happening to us but actually, we are having fun!" didn't ring true to me at all.

I firmly believe that she made most of it up. There is no redeeming factor to this book at all, imho. You can't even just enjoy the writing, because it is not very well written - extraordinarily juvenile sentence structure and so forth, which is why so many folks are riveted, I suppose.