rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

Jewel

Jewel - Bret Lott I liked this book. I *really* like the prose style of the author. I just didn't much like the story line, hence the 3 stars, rather than more. If I could, I'd give the author 5 stars for writing style, and 2 stars for story line. It just didn't much go anywhere. I kept reading because I felt like there was going to be a point made, somewhere along the line, but it never made it.

What really bugged me was a male author, writing from the first person perspective of a woman. I don't know why this should matter, but it really got on my nerves. The story would have been interesting from the first person perspective of the father, too. Why didn't he write it this way?

I didn't get this book at all. What I *did* get is how very much this author hates Mississippi! That came through, loud and clear.