rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry One of my all time favorites. This book is NOT a "western" so if this is what is holding you back, just read it! It is a book about life, which just so happens to feature cowboys on a trail ride, driving cattle 1000 miles to start a new ranch in Montana. But, it is not about the trail ride - it's about life! It is one of those books which is new and fresh with every re-read, a book which morphs itself into what you need to read at the time when you read it. Gosh, how I love these characters - every one of them. (Well, maybe not blue duck.)

This book, like my most favorite book, To Kill a MOckingbird, features wonderful character development. I feel as though I really know these characters, and I start missing them when I get to the last few chapters, and know that the book is soon coming to an end. I find myself reading fewer and fewer pages at a time, just to make the book last a little bit longer. It's a huge book, which reads very fast, mainly because it is a real page turner. It is very well written.