rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

Twilight

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer You know how a book is nearly always better than the movie? Well, I just finished this book, and GAWD, the movie would have to be better. OK, so the book is OK, it's the writing which made me want to poke my knitting needles into my eyes. Honestly, one line in the book - at some point, a character, "groans in horror." How does one groan in horror? This makes no sense. Later on, a tear trickles "noiselessly down her cheek." In all my 49 years of existence, I've never known a tear to trickle in any other way. It is worth pointing out that tears make no noise as they trickle down cheeks? Puhleeze! I could go on and on, but I won't. Modern Publishing Houses - PLEASE, I beg of you - shell out a few bucks for an editor!

The author takes great pains to describe what Bella has for breakfast every morning, and I was left thinking that I should pay attention, as this will have some meaning later on. It doesn't. The author takes great pains describing every character's hair texture and color and, once again, due to the repetition of this, I thought that there was some hidden meaning. If there is a meaning, it's extremely well hidden, because this information doesn't seem to have any real purpose.

This would have been an excellent graphic novel - at least I wouldn't have been tortured by the inane dialogue tags ("Yes," she gulped. GULPED? AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH spare me!!!!) Imagine what fun an artist would have with this book! The whole "chase scene" would have made more sense in the graphic novel format, rather than a supposedly "realistic" presentation. The chase scene was really contrived and a huge stretch. It was dumb. At least the reader would have been spared the whole dialogue tag business, and he would be spared about 5000 adverbs, for which he would be thankful.

I bet that in the hands of the right director, it would make an excellent movie. My family all traipsed out to see it the other day and they reported that it is, actually, a very good movie. So, you see, the book isn't ALWAYS better than the movie.

There is something very nice about this book, however. It's printed with lots of space between the lines, and nice, wide margins. I read it in just a few hours. Some books take me weeks to read. Books printed in this nice, airy layout are *very* easy on the eyes.

Off to re-read, after 30 years, Interview With the Vampire, because I really do love a good vampire novel.