rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré My family read this aloud when it first came to the USA, when it was on the shelves with the other books and the librarians had never heard of "Harry Potter," lol.

I remember being quite amazed - this book was like no other I had ever read. The kid lived under the stairs! He was rescued by a giant on a motorbike! I was spell-bound. I loved every minute of this book, every minute.

Now, 10 years later, it's hard to remember what my previous realms of imagination were like, as they were forever changed by Harry, Dumbledore, and all the others at Hogwarts. I envy my children - they've grown up with Harry.

Of all the Harry Potter books, I like this one the best. Rowling has changed the world of fairy tale.

OOOhhhh how I would have loved to have attended Hogwarts! Can you just imagine how exciting that would be?