rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

The Help

The Help - Kathryn Stockett, Jenna Lamia, Bahni Turpin, Cassandra Campbell This is easily one of the best books I've ever read. Actually, I listened to it on audio, and the readers are clearly the best I've ever listened to.

The writing and the vocal performances are all top notch. The character development is excellent - I really felt like I knew these people. The vocal performers breathed life into this book - where the characters laugh, the actor laughs. Where the character cries, the actor cries. They did an excellent job. I couldn't stop listening!

This book is so eerily representative of my growing up years that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that one of my sisters wrote it under a pseudonym. It is sooooo true to my experiences - it gave me that "someone's walking on my grave" feeling in many spots. The author really captures the flavor of growing up with household help.

My family hired help, and I can relate to the book from that perspective, I feel like it is really very true to life - I wonder how someone who was "the help" would feel about this book? Does it reflect your experiences?

There is much sadness in this book, but the overall message is one of hope, and redemption. This is a moving, inspirational book. I will certainly listen to it again (and again and again...)