rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs This was an inventive tale, quite enjoyable. The whole way through, I kept wishing that a better writer had taken the job, though. This idea could be made into a wonderful book, but in this writer's hands, it sort of misses the mark.

Also, I can't stand it when writers set books in the past, but have their characters use modern day jargon, or do modern day things. Sorry folks, as much as we might hate it, folks are part of their time, and books loose their punch (in my opinion) when an author tries to make folks in the past make modern day decisions.

Of course, a book like this features bad guys, and the bad guys in this book are so very shallow and no fun at all. How they came to be is cause for an eye roll, too.

After all that, though, I did enjoy this book, and enjoyed the motif. It was a fun, light read.