rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire What a wonderful premise! Write a book from the point of view of a character other than the main character! This author has made a career out of it. This book, Wicked, is the Oz story, written from the point of view of the Wicked Witch of the West. The author is such a gifted wordsmith - I couldn't stop reading it because I loved LOVED the way he writes. Such a wonderful use of language!

Sorry that it is one of the stupidest books I've ever read. I read it as part of a book-club - about 25 members - and I was the only one who made it through to the end. I finished it only because I didn't want to embarrass myself by being the only one who didn't finish. Little did I know, I was the only one who DID finish.

I hated it so much that I don't really remember much of the story, other than it is filled with gratuitous sex and violence, seemingly for the same reason of gratuitous sex and violence in films - because there's really no actual story or plot, so throw in some screwing to keep the audience happy. Barf.

I tried reading another of this author's books and it's the same - beautiful language - absolutely no story whatsoever. Maybe he should try something other than creative writing - he can write, he just can't tell a story worth a dang.