rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee My all time favorite book. Every time I read this book, and I've read it numerous times, it's a completely different book, about a completely different thing. It has spoken to me at all different times of my life - once it was all about Scout, and her growing up. Once, it was all about Jem and his coming of age. Once, it was all about homeschooling. Once, it was all about Atticus and his parenting. My favorite time was when it was all about Calpurnia and her parenting of those children. It's like a magic book which has this unbelievable ability to rearrange itself to tell me what I need to know about a particular stage of my life. It is a scintillating bit of literature. On occasion, I come across someone who doesn't like this book, and when I do, I'm stunned, and I know that this person and I won't be able to ever communicate in any meaningful way.

One thing which amazes me about this book is how, even though it is such a small book, it is about so many different things. I love the passage about the old lady and Jem, reading to her so that she can overcome her addiction and die unencumbered. What a scene! I could go on and on. I just love this book. It's perfect in every way.