rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

All Creatures Great and Small

All Creatures Great and Small - James Herriot, Christopher Timothy My family and I are working our way through this excellent series of audio books. I read them way back when, as the author was writing them, and while I completely enjoyed them, I missed a lot because I had no idea what the Yorkshire farmers were saying. In this version, the reader delivers the vernacular in such a way that I have no trouble understanding, whatsoever.

Christopher Timothy, the reader, is the actor who played the role of James Herriot in the television adaptation. He really does an excellent job of reading these stories.

While there is a thread which runs through the books, each individual chapter really does stand alone, as its own little short story. This is a good choice for those times when you would like to follow an audio, but can't quite listen to it as often as you'd like. You don't really have to remember the "back story," but can just enjoy each new story as it comes along.

These books really aren't about animals at all. They are about people, their eccentricities and their delights. I highly recommend this series of books in print and in the audio version. My print collection is on my feel-good bookshelf. These books belong on every shelf. They really are that good.