rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins Have all of the editors in all the world died? Really? There's not a one left? This book is enough to make me nuts. The grammatical errors, oh my kingdom for ONE STINKING EDITOR!!! Grammatical errors abound. Style problems - oh, don't get me started. It is not OK to present a book like this as "finished."

What interests me is that really good books, such as Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and many others, were rejected by so many publishers that it's a marvel that the author continued submitting their work to yet another publisher. And then we find a book like Hunger Games. Please, don't tell me that it was accepted by the first publisher, please, please, please don't tell me.

I can see where the story line would make a good movie. Provided you like to know, in the first 5 minutes, how the *entire* movie is going to go. Sorta like when we saw the earth moving machines in Avatar. Yeah, like that. This story is enormously predictable. Seriously, writers of America, Young Adults are capable of complex language, plots, and mostly, ideas. Really, they are. However, this one is a waste of time. The whole premise of the Hunger Games doesn't make sense in the first place. I need to go read something by Tolstoy to wash the taste out of my mouth!