rosemaryknits

rosemaryknits

The Phantom of Fifth Avenue: The Mysterious Life and Scandalous Death of Heiress Huguette Clark
Meryl Gordon
End of The Chain: Life and death in the Aleutians
Robert Wallace Finlay
Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right
Bill Bryson
Seeing Further
Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood, Gregory Benford, Georgina Ferrey, Oliver Morton, Maggie Gee, Margaret Wertheim, Richard Fortey, John D. Barrow, Martin J. Rees, Philip Ball, Richard Holmes, Stephen H. Schneider, James Gleick, Simon Schaffer, Henry Petroski, Paul Davies,
Icons of England
To Marry an English Lord
Carol McD. Wallace, Gail MacColl
That Bear Ate My Pants!
Tony James Slater
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism & Asperger's

The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism & Asperger's - Temple Grandin, Ruth Sullivan I read through this book because I adore Temple Grandin. However, as a compilation of separate articles, this book has no flow, no continuation, and is rather repetitive, as the articles were originally written as stand-alone pieces. This does not diminish my admiration for Ms. Grandin, however.

I especially love how she points out, over and over again, that parents need to take charge of their kids. Parents need to expect and demand proper behavior from their children. I love the part where she says that her mother forced her to drive to the lumber yard to do some shopping, even though Ms. Grandin begged off, saying that it would upset her so much that it'd make her cry. Her mother replied (and I broadly paraphrase), "OK, well, cry, just go to the lumberyard." Ms. Grandin reports that she went to the lumber yard, she cried, she completed the task, and *never again* was a trip to the lumber yard frightening, and future trips went off without a hitch. I just love this.

If you love Ms. Grandin, you'll most likely like this book, but her other books are far more interesting and informative.